Sunday, May 26, 2013

This Little Piggie Came to School....in a Book Bag!


Most teachers just think we have seen it all (mostly because we have) well anyway. Something new happened in my classroom this past Friday! One of my sweet little girls came up to me first thing and said, "Mrs. Winchell my guinea pig is in my book bag." I said, "What??? Are you sure?" and she nodded that sweet little head. Being an animal lover and knowing this little girl doesn't make stuff up. I asked her to get her book bag and there in the bottom of it was a sweet little baby guinea pig. I knew this sweetie had guinea pigs. She had brought me a picture of them! According to her it just amazingly crawled in there and she didn't know! We all just about fell over but it was the cutest thing in the world so we loved it up and put it in a box. We already have a class reading guinea pig so we had all the supplies we needed. That guinea pig was the sweetest little thing. It had a great day at school and was delivered safely to Dad at the end of the day. It was great fun on a Friday. As with any big happening we need to talk about it and then we need to write about it. I created this fun writing activity for your kiddos to imagine what they might bring to school in their book bags! You can download it here.
guinea pig



I'm sure your children will come up with some delightful ideas. And remember just when you thought you had seen it all you haven't!
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

6 comments:

  1. Aw that is so cute! The kids must have had so much fun with their guest that day!! We really do see everything, don't we! ;)

    Fashion Craze Learning Days

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO sweet. I LOVE guinea pigs. I've had about 12 of them over the years (as an adult!). A few months ago my daughter-in-law gave me her two piggies. One of the little guys died two days ago, BUT he lived to be over 8 years!! He was so active and happy right up to the last few hours, so it's all good.
    Take care!
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the guinea pig in the back pack! We had a fourth grader bring her cat to school once in her backpack BUT it was totally on purpose. Her mom was going to take her to the vet to get declawed and the girl wasn't happy about it.
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for turning what was probably a plan-buster into a teaching experience! I love that you are all about showing our children how to live in the moment, and take notice of all things big and small. You are the greatest Mrs. Winchell, and our family is sad that our children are growing up and out of your classroom range!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! That's one of those stories you will remember for years to come. I had a guinea pig as a class pet for 2 years before our school system banned all class pets. :-( So he came home to live with my family for 4 more years.

    Mrs. Seymour's Super Stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like a good teacher to turn an unexpected event into a joyful learning experience! This year I had a little girl bring a ferret in her backpack! Of couse it got loose and ran all over the place, but thankfully her mommy ran after it and saved the day!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover